Three months ago I was in the most comfortable little groove. I had a full-time job that was pretty comfy, I went to the gym 4 days a week, ate salads, drank green smoothies most days and had time for most of the things I wanted to do. But I was bored. I’m not good at being comfy. I wish I was. An opportunity presented itself for a really serious wine job, so I went for it. And I got it. Terribly exciting. Overwhelmingly terrifying. It has only gotten worse, two months in and I am just beginning to realise how much there is to learn and how far I have to go.
The first few weeks I forgot to eat, during the day at least (don’t worry, I made up for it at night). I needed to find something I could easily take with me that didn’t need refrigeration or a microwave. My New Roots Life-changing Loaf was life-saving but I needed to mix it up a bit. I needed something nourishing and healthy but also yummy enough to prevent me from buying snacks along the way.
This is what I came up with…
Buckwheat Banana Bread with Berries
I love a bit of alliteration.
Absolutely packed with nutrients; almost half fruit, no refined sugar, plenty of protein from yoghurt, nuts and seeds and a rich source of minerals and fibre from the buckwheat flour, as well as being gluten-free. Plus how pretty is it!?! That little burst of colour from the berries and pepitas help you forget just how healthy it is.
I often bake a loaf on the weekend, slice and freeze (after eating a couple of slices fresh from the oven). Even on the mornings I am running late (I am always running late) I can grab a couple of slices, whack them in the toaster so the edges go crunchy and run out the door. The almond meal and yoghurt keeps the bread moist enough that it is also delicious wrapped straight from the freezer the night before, and allowed to defrost in time for lunch.
Best of all, it can be whipped up in just one bowl in less than 10 minutes (plus baking time). If only adjusting to my new job was that easy… 🙂
- 2 large bananas
- 2/3 cup greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup coconut
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup macadamias or walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil (I use coconut or rice bran)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 Tbsp hazelnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Grease and line a loaf tin
- Mash bananas in a large bowl
- Add yoghurt, almond meal, pepitas, nuts, coconut, oil, maple syrup, salt (optional) and stir to combine.
- Sift together buckwheat flour and baking powder.
- Still in flour until just combined. Add frozen berries and fold through.
- Pour into prepared tin, sprinkle with hazelnuts, and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.